Fish pie is a classic comfort food for cold winter nights.
The ingredient of Fish pie
- 2 (about 400g) salmon fillets
- 2 (about 400g) blue-eye trevalla fillets (see note)
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 cups (750ml) milk
- 100g butter
- 1/4 cup (40g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thin cream
- 200g small cooked prawns
- 200g scallops
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 4 (about 800g) coliban potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
The instruction how to make Fish pie
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Place salmon and trevalla in a large frying pan. Add the onion, bay leaf and pour over 2 1/2 cups (625ml) of the milk. Place over high heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes or until fish is just cooked through. Remove from heat. Use a fish slice or slotted spoon to transfer fish to a plate. Set aside to cool slightly. Flake fish into large pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Strain milk mixture through a fine sieve into a jug. Discard solids. Melt half the butter in a medium saucepan until foaming. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles. Gradually add the reserved milk mixture, while constantly stirring. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Add half the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the prawns and scallops to the salmon and pour over sauce. Add the chives and dill and gently toss until just combined. Pour into a 6-cup (1.5L) capacity ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well and return to pan with remaining butter, milk and cream. Use a potato masher or fork to mash until smooth. Spoon potato mixture over the fish mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Fish piefatContent: 923.257 calories
saturatedFatContent: 51 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 28 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 45 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 15 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 70 grams protein
sodiumContent: 321 milligrams cholesterol