Create a real winter warmer delight with this sensational pumpkin and apple cider soup topped with caramelised apple and crispy bacon croutons.
The ingredient of Pumpkin and apple cider soup with apple and bacon croutons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, chopped
- 500g cream delight potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 330ml bottle crushed apple cider
- 2 1/2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 tablespoons pure cream
- 2 shortcut bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 small Fuji apple, peeled, halved, cored, diced (see note)
The instruction how to make Pumpkin and apple cider soup with apple and bacon croutons
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden. Add garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add pumpkin and potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add cider and stock. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Remove and discard thyme. Blend, in batches, until smooth. Return to pan over low heat. Add cream and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a small non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook bacon, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Add apple to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until golden and just tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with bacon and apple. Serve.
Nutritions of Pumpkin and apple cider soup with apple and bacon croutonsfatContent: 367.104 calories
saturatedFatContent: 14 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 4.6 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 48.3 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 8.9 grams protein
sodiumContent: 17 milligrams cholesterol