Packed with hidden vegies and sprinkled with cheese, these quick and easy sausage rolls will be a new family fave.
The ingredient of Mexican sausage rolls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 zucchini, trimmed, coarsely grated
- 500g pork and beef mince (see note)
- 30g (1/3 cup) dried breadcrumbs
- 30g packet taco spice mix
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 30g (1/4 cup) finely grated cheddar
- Mashed avocado, to serve
- Lime half, to serve (optional)
- Coriander sprigs, to serve (optional)
- Mild salsa, to serve
The instruction how to make Mexican sausage rolls
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan forced and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until slightly softened. Add the carrot and zucchini. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until softened. Set aside to cool slightly before transferring to a food processor. Process until smooth (see notes).
- Place the mince in a large bowl. Add the pureed vegetables, breadcrumbs and taco spice mix. Use your hands to mix until well combined. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Lay a sheet of pastry on a work surface and cut in half. Arrange one portion of the meat mixture along one long edge of pastry. Brush the other long pastry edge with egg. Roll to enclose, making sure the pastry overlaps by about 1cm. Cut into 5 pieces and place, seam side down, on the prepared tray.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling. Brush the tops of the sausage rolls with remaining egg. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Combine the mashed avocado with lime juice and coriander, if you like. Serve with salsa and avocado to dip.
Nutritions of Mexican sausage rollscalories: