This Indian inspired lamb shank soup will warm you up this winter.
The ingredient of Lamb shanks in spiced potato and pea broth
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 5cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 x 7cm cinnamon stick
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 8 small coliban (chat) potatoes, halved
- 250g fresh peas, shelled
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- Pinch of salt
The instruction how to make Lamb shanks in spiced potato and pea broth
- Heat a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the lamb shanks and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion softens. Add the cumin, saffron and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the lamb shanks, water and stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add the potato and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add the peas and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until peas are bright green, potato is tender and lamb falls away from the bone when tested with a fork. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the parsley and mint. Taste and season with salt. Use tongs to divide lamb shanks among shallow serving bowls. Ladle over the hot broth and serve immediately.
Nutritions of Lamb shanks in spiced potato and pea brothcalories: 388.614 calories
calories: 13 grams fat
calories: 4 grams saturated fat
calories: 30 grams carbohydrates
calories: 35 grams protein
calories: 652.91 milligrams sodium