How do you adjust the familys eating habits to be diabetes-friendly? With this simple and tasty chicken risotto.
The ingredient of Lower-GI chicken and silverbeet barley risotto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (500g) Steggles chicken breast fillets, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 2 cups Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 1/2 bunch (80g) silverbeet, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
The instruction how to make Lower-GI chicken and silverbeet barley risotto
- Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned and just cooked through. Transfer to a bowl. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add barley. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until coated. Add wine (if using). Simmer for 3 minutes or until almost evaporated.
- Add stock and 1 1/4 cups cold water. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until barley is almost tender. Remove lid. Simmer for 10 minutes or until barley is tender. Add silverbeet and chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until silverbeet has wilted and chicken is heated through. Stir in parmesan. Season with pepper. Serve.
Nutritions of Lower-GI chicken and silverbeet barley risottocalories: 489.95 calories
calories: 9.4 grams fat
calories: 2.8 grams saturated fat
calories: 49.4 grams carbohydrates
calories: 40.6 grams protein
calories: 89 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 557 milligrams sodium