Crisp lemony crumbs add some crunch to this creamy mac n cheese soup.
The ingredient of Mac n cheese soup with lemon pangrattato
- 250g dried wholemeal penne
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 50g butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, plus extra, to serve
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 750ml (3 cups) milk
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken (see notes)
- 150g (about 1) potato, scrubbed, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 zucchini, cut into 2cm pieces
- 40g (1/2 cup) finely grated parmesan, plus extra, to serve (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 30g thinly sliced prosciutto (optional)
- 70g (1 cup) torn day-old sourdough bread
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
The instruction how to make Mac n cheese soup with lemon pangrattato
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 8 minutes or until almost al dente, adding broccoli for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add onion, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk, then stock, until smooth. Return to heat. Bring to the boil. Add potato and zucchini. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Use a stick blender to blend until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the broccoli and pasta. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until warmed through. Stir in the parmesan and nutmeg. Season.
- For the pangrattato, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook prosciutto, if using, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Add bread. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until crisp. Remove from heat. Stir in the lemon rind.
- Top soup with pangrattato, extra thyme and parmesan, and a drizzle of oil, if you like.
Nutritions of Mac n cheese soup with lemon pangrattatofatContent: 704.333 calories
saturatedFatContent: 32 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 15 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 72 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 26 grams protein