Lamb madras curry meets pot pies in this pure comfort food recipe by Marion Grasby.
The ingredient of Lamb madras pot pies
- 5cm-piece ginger, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1kg boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed, cut into 3cm cubes
- 300ml coconut milk
- 100g tamarind puree
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- 6 potatoes (about 1kg), peeled, cut into chunks
- 100ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
The instruction how to make Lamb madras pot pies
- Place the ginger, garlic, garam masala, fennel seeds, chilli powder, paprika and 2 tbs water in a food processor and process until a fine paste forms. Set aside.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring, for 10 minutes or until golden and softened. Add the spice paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add the lamb and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the lamb is starting to brown. Add the coconut milk and tamarind. Stir until combined. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, for a further 1 hour or until the lamb is fork-tender and the sauce has thickened. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, to make the potato topping, place the potato in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat. Drain the potatoes, then return to the pan. Add the coconut milk and turmeric. Mash until smooth. Season with salt.
- Preheat the grill on high. Divide the lamb mixture evenly among six 375ml (1 1/2 cup) ovenproof dishes. Cover each with potato topping. Place pies on a tray lined with foil. Cook under the grill for 10 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with coriander and serve.
Nutritions of Lamb madras pot piescalories: 552.568 calories
calories: 35 grams fat
calories: 21 grams saturated fat
calories: 26 grams carbohydrates
calories: 31 grams protein